I went to law school and Texas and took the Texas bar exam. I thought it would be cool to compile a list of the top ten largest jury verdicts in Texas history:
- $9 billion – Pennzoil v. Texaco, awarded in 1985 to Pennzoil in a breach of contract case against Texaco.
- $7.8 billion – Vioxx Product Liability Litigation, awarded in 2006 to plaintiffs who claimed that the painkiller Vioxx caused heart attacks and strokes.
- $4.7 billion – Highland Capital Management v. Credit Suisse, awarded in 2014 to Highland Capital Management in a lawsuit over a complex financial product.
- $3.3 billion – Enron Corp. Securities Litigation, awarded in 2006 to investors who lost money in the Enron scandal.
- $2.9 billion – Merck & Co. v. Ernst, awarded in 2005 to the widow of a man who died after taking the painkiller Vioxx.
- $1.5 billion – Thompson v. Janssen Pharmaceuticals, awarded in 2016 to a group of patients who claimed that the antipsychotic drug Risperdal caused them to develop breasts.
- $1.04 billion – Energy Transfer Partners v. Enterprise Products Partners, awarded in 2014 to Energy Transfer Partners in a breach of contract case against Enterprise Products Partners.
- $635 million – Southwestern Bell Telephone v. Public Utility Commission of Texas, awarded in 1987 to Southwestern Bell Telephone in a lawsuit over rate increases.
- $590 million – Johnson & Johnson DePuy Hip Implant Cases, awarded in 2016 to six patients who claimed that Johnson & Johnson’s DePuy hip implants were defective.
- $536 million – Apple v. Smartflash, awarded in 2015 to Smartflash in a patent infringement case against Apple.
VerdictPost helps match you with the ideal personal injury lawyer.
Contact David Kervin to speak to an auto accident attorney.